Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pack your lunch! Save some $$

Whether you work or go to school, lunch time is one of the most anticipated time of the day. But you can end up spending a lot of money on lunch without even knowing it.

I go to school at a technology center and we have a student-ran Bistro and store that sells food/snacks for the students and staff. Walking around the school every day with the aroma of food from the Bistro is very tempting to just drop in and spend a mere five dollars on maybe a drink, fries and a sandwich. If you're like me, you like food, so delicious smelling food is already a bonus. I would spend about five dollars every single school day on lunch because it was good and it was convenient. Five dollars is just pocket change right? That's what I thought, but then I starting thinking about how much money I've been spending on food all together.

Five dollars a day for five days a week. That's $25 a week and about $100 on lunch alone, a month. I felt that it was really unnecessary for a senior in high school who's trying to save money for college. So spending after about $300, I decided to save my money by making my own lunch from home. I started making a sandwich for lunch every single day and that saved me more than half of what I was spending at school. The money I have saved still isn't even enough to cover the cost of one college class, but it sure did save me some money for maybe books!

And remember, you're never too cool for a home packed lunch by your mom with an "I love you, munchkin" note on the inside!

Happy saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment